photo FB_zps784c12e8.png height= height=

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Let Them Eat Cake

So this year, it is all about the wedding cake! Birmingham Weddings & Celebrations magazine calls it "Couture Cakes". While I am not an extreme girly girl, the word couture will make any girl swoon!
 
Wedding cakes come in all sizes and shapes, not to mention flavors. I have been to weddings with strawberry tiered cakes, lemon mini bite sized cakes and even an alligator shaped red velvet cake (and yes, that was the groom cake!).
 
Cakes range from modern, traditional or can be as simple as plain white cake with white icing. The cake is something special on your special day. There are endless possibilities when it comes to deciding on your cake.
 
A few things to keep in mind when picking a cake should include:
                        1. Do NOT go crazy. You do not want to have a huge cake and end up wasting it if no one eats it. Be smart and consider how many guests you have and determine how big your cake should actually be.
                       2. Try to steer clear of crazy flavors. Your guests might not like "pink lemonade" or "green tea" flavored cake as much as you do and you will end up with more cake left over than you know what to do with.  And yes, I have been to events where both these cakes were present. I loved them both, but like I said, they are not for everyone.
                       3. Try to book your bakery around 4 months before your wedding. Having a piece of mind knowing your cake is already ordered is one less thing you will have to worry about in the months approaching your wedding.
      
 
I have a few favorite cake styles that are pretty popular right now. The first one being the laced cake. It is a traditional white wedding cake with white (or colored) piping to mimic your lace on your wedding dress. I find these cakes so simple and gorgeous. When I think of a traditional wedding, this cake comes to mind.
 
 
 
 
Another one of my favorite cake designs is the flower cake. In fact, I think this IS my favorite. Adds a pop of color and overall is magnificent. The bigger the better in my opinion. I love peonies, so a white cake with bright pink fondant peonies would be to die for!
 
 
 
 
 
Last but not least, the GOLD cake. This is a popular trend this year. Very Parisian. When paired with glitter and anything pink, you have a statement piece for a cake. And maybe even add some more flowers!
 
 
 
 
Who said you can't have your cake and eat it too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment