photo FB_zps784c12e8.png height= height=

Friday, March 14, 2014

Somewhere Close to Home

It is Friday. The weather is starting to cooperate and actually act like Spring. I am itching to escape to the beach.
In fact, one week from today I will be at the beach with a group of my good friends and my twin sister.
But not just ANY beach - Seagrove, Florida. For anyone who does not know this area, you need to visit. It is located along the Scenic Highway 30A right between Seaside and Rosemary Beach. I have spent almost every summer down there and it has grown to be my second home. Named for the thick grove of windswept trees that surround it, Seagrove has stayed true to its roots by preserving the same green canopy of oaks, magnolias, hickories and sand pines that came to define it a half a century ago.



Taking that right turn off Highway 98, toward the beach, my heart flutters and I get as excited as a little girl on Christmas morning. Passing Grayton Beach and the infamous Red Bar, I drive a few miles into Watercolor and look around to take a glance at some of the new shops and restaurants that have popped up, the next following spot is Seaside. Seaside is pretty much magical. I mean, heck, The Truman Show was filmed there. A short drive down 30A and I hit Live Oak Street. My second home. Seagrove, Florida.
A block from the beach, shaded under tall oak trees, is where you will find me during the summer. A little house we call "The Peacekeeper". A mile walk to Seaside, but why walk when you can bike or take the golf cart! The whole area is a small community and everyone is happy to see you. Seaside is part of my family. You drive around the south and you see those stickers that say "30A". My dad designed those, so when I see one, I feel in some way that they are connected to me. Anyone who has been to Seaside understands that feeling. The feeling of grabbing ice cream at Dawson's or feasting on a plate of fried shrimp from Bud & Alley's. Maybe it is that feeling of buying a new book from Sundog Books. Whatever it is, Seaside can make you feel something wonderful.
Sundog Books has always been one of my favorite places. As soon as you enter the door, even the familiar creak in the floorboards tells you the books you find here are going to be memorable. The familiar old black lab sleeping on the steps outside. I feel home. I feel happy. After a stroll through the book store, I usually grab a snack at Modica Market, home to the sweetest shop owners in the world. It is a small grocery store but they feel as though they are family.
The foamy surf and sugar sand calls to you as you enjoy a cocktail at the roof top bar at Bud & Alley's. The sun sets and the bell rings. The crabs begin to scamper at night while little kids with flashlights chase them. The adults who haven't quite forgotten about their childhood love for "crabbing" follow along.
If you are in the mood for a great burger, head to the Seagrove Market Café. The have everything you could possibly need. Locals rave about the fried grouper sandwiches. Stop by, pick up a t-shirt or souvenir and treat yourself to one of the best meals you'll ever enjoy!

Yours truly devouring one of those famous burgers.
As the day ends and everything begins to shut down, you can hear the waves crash along the shoreline. I find comfort in the sound. It is the sound that brings me back every year. Create memories. Laugh. Soak in the sun. I leave with Seagrove is on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment